Turns out that the summer heat and sunshine can be particularly challenging when you're pregnant. I thought I’d share some tips for staying cool.
Summer definitely arrived this weekend in the UK. What a difference a week makes. Ridiculous to think that I was in huge jumpers and sheepskin boots last weekend and this weekend we were firing up the BBQ!
I love the sunshine and the summer heat – the minute the sun is out I am out in the garden and refusing to leave. Being pregnant in the heat is a totally different matter though. Yesterday I managed a couple of hours outside, before heading in for an epic nap.
With seven weeks still to go, I thought I’d share my tips from the weekend for staying cool in the heat when pregnant:
- Find shade or head indoors. A parasol will be your new best friend if you’re pregnant in the summer. Usually I’d happily lie out in the sun for hours but this weekend, I hid under the parasol while we ate lunch and then headed inside to try to keep cool.
- Drink lots. I’ve been drinking loads of water already during my pregnancy but when it’s hot outside, it’s even more important to drink more.
- Use sunscreen. I always use sunscreen anyway but when you’re pregnancy it’s even more important as your skin is much more sensitive.
- Wear loose clothing. If you’re anything like me, you’ll find anything tight around your bump is so uncomfortable in the heat. I’d already bought myself a couple of maxi dresses and was so glad of these at the weekend.
- Stick your feet in cold water. When I was outside for our BBQ at the weekend, I managed to stay a little longer with the help of a washing up bowl filled with cold water!
Anyone else got any tips for staying cool in the heat when you’re pregnant?